Helping with your funeral costs
The following information should be treated as general guidance. We are not able to guarantee the availability of a loan, but we do understand how the Department of Social Services makes a decision.
The Department of Social Security, or Benefits Agency as they are more commonly known, may provide financial support subject to certain criteria. The procedure for making a claim can be complex; however our staff is fully conversant with the current procedures and will assist you. Our experience can often be valuable in reaching a prompt and successful conclusion. It is essential that we are advised prior to funeral arrangements being made if you intend to make a claim and we will be happy to guideyou.
Who is entitled to help?
You may receive help if there is not enough money to pay for the funeral service and you are responsible for making the funeral arrangements and you or your partner are receiving any of the following benefits:
- Income Support
- Housing Benefit
- Family Credit or Council Tax Benefit
Check what amount of money is available from:
- The estate of the person who has died, such as money from bank or building society accounts.
- Any insurance policies or charities, lump sum payments made by a pension scheme or relatives (either yours or those of the person who has died).
- Any savings you have in the bank or building society, National Savings (including certificates or premium bonds), or in cash at home.
- The savings may be in your name or the name of your partner.
- The Widows payment does not count as part of savings.
The social fund may make a contribution towards the cost of a simple funeral within the United Kingdom. This includes:
- Bringing the body home if the person died away from home but within the United Kingdom
- The Death Certificate
- A standard coffin
- The Hearse for the coffin
- Flowers from the person who is arranging the funeral
- Contribution towards fees of funeral director
- Minister and organist fee for simple funeral
- Cemetery fee or Crematorium fee
- Doctor's fees